Slow cooker chicken marsala is a fantastic dish that combines tender chicken breasts, flavorful mushrooms, and a rich Marsala wine sauce. This recipe is not only easy enough for a weeknight dinner but also impressive enough to serve to company. With the convenience of the slow cooker, you can enjoy a mouthwatering meal with minimal effort.
Table of Contents
- 1.5 tablespoon olive oil
- 2.5 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (approximately 5 ounces each)
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ¾ cup Marsala wine (Note: The recipe doesn’t specify whether to use dry or sweet Marsala. Betty Crocker suggests sweet Marsala, but using dry Marsala can also work. If unsure, you can use ½ cup chicken broth and ¼ cup Marsala instead.)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoons chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the slow cooker: Coat the slow cooker insert with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare the aromatics: In the bottom of the slow cooker, combine the olive oil, chopped shallot, and chopped garlic.
- Coat the chicken: In a shallow dish, stir together the all-purpose flour, salt, and black pepper. Pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness and coat them with the flour mixture. Place the coated chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
- Add the mushrooms: Scatter the sliced mushrooms over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Pour in the Marsala wine: Add the Marsala wine to the slow cooker, ensuring that the chicken and mushrooms are well-covered.
- Cook on low heat: Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Thicken the sauce: To thicken the sauce, turn the slow cooker up to HIGH. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with 2 teaspoons of water to create a slurry. Stir the cornstarch slurry into the chicken and mushroom mixture in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for an additional 10 to 25 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened to your desired consistency.
- Garnish and season: Sprinkle the chopped parsley over the chicken marsala for added freshness and presentation. Season the dish with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy: Transfer the slow cooker chicken marsala to a serving dish. Serve it with your choice of sides, such as rice, pasta, or roasted vegetables.
Recipe Notes for Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala
- Serving size: 1 chicken breast + ¼ cup mushroom sauce.
- Nutritional values per serving: Calories 235, Fat 5g, Carbohydrates 9g, Protein 29g.
- Weight Watchers SmartPoints: 5 (Green plan), 3 (Blue plan), 3 (Purple plan).
- This recipe is suitable for a 4-Quart slow cooker.
Slow cooker chicken marsala is a crowd-pleasing dish that will impress both your family and guests. The combination of tender chicken, rich Marsala wine, and savory mushrooms creates a delightful flavor experience. With the convenience of the slow cooker, you can enjoy a delicious and satisfying Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala meal with minimal effort. Add this recipe to your repertoire and savor the flavors of this classic dish.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I use a different type of mushroom for this recipe?
Absolutely! While baby bella mushrooms provide a rich and earthy flavor, you can use other mushrooms like cremini or button mushrooms as well.
Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
Yes, you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs as a substitute for chicken breasts. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Can I make this recipe on the stovetop instead of a slow cooker?
Yes, you can adapt this recipe for stovetop cooking. Simply follow the same steps using a large skillet or Dutch oven over low heat, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through.
Can I freeze the leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze the leftover chicken marsala. Store it in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
What are some recommended side dishes to serve with chicken marsala?
This dish pairs well with a variety of sides, such as mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, or a side salad. Choose your favorites to complete the meal.